Monday, February 23, 2009

Only thirteen years in the making...

Today I signed up for the last two classes for my associates degree! I will mail out my graduation application later this week. I swear I never thought this day would come!

I started taking college classes when I was still a senior in high school in 1996. After 8 moves in 6 different states, taking classes at 5 different schools, having credits transfer to some schools (but not others), and testing out (CLEP) of several classes, I am officially almost halfway to my Bachelor's Degree! How long will that take, I wonder? Ha, ha!!

I still haven't decided what I want to be when I grow up...which makes it pretty hard to pick a major. Lately, I've been vacillating between becoming a middle school math/history teacher, a social worker, or a librarian. My unrealistic choices would be a forensic anthropologist, an archaeologist, or an archivist. Of course, I am still looking for that elusive career of getting paid to read books. One can dream, right?

Either way, whichever I eventually choose, I will need a Master's Degree. So, now I have to find a school that offers a Bachelor's Degree that will lead to a Master's Degree in my chosen field. Confused yet? And I need to figure it out soon, so I can apply and register before the fall semester starts.

Right now I am looking at a Bachelor's Degree in either Sociology or Human Services from Columbia College. Yes, it is an online school and no, I am not happy about it...more on that later. My second choice would be the local school, Sonoma State University. It all depends on how my funding turns out. I'll go more into that in my next post also.

Anyway, back to more certain events...I will start my last two classes the beginning of April and should have my diploma mailed to me in June. Yay! I have all my required courses completed, so I'm taking two fluffy electives. Intro to Human Services (thought I'd see what I'm getting into) and Nutrition. I took the nutrition class solely to mess with the instructor. I can't wait to go into veg*nism, raw diets, and fruitarianism!

No comments: