Thursday, November 6, 2008

Election Thoughts

Well, the election is over. Finally. There has been a lot of ups and downs over the past two days as all the final totals have come in. I'm still not 100% sure how I feel.

First of all, politics aside, I am so proud that our nation has finally put aside some of it's racist past and elected a black president. Fifty-sixty years ago, segregation was still legal. People were treated as inferior beings based solely on the color of their skin. And now a minority has been elected (by a vast majority of votes) to the highest office in our land. It's amazing to me that the first president my son will remember is a minority. When I was little, it would have been an impossibility. How far we've come. Go, America!

That said, I'm not so sure about Obama as president. Don't get me wrong, I was against McCain, too. I really hope Obama is able to bring about the changes he promised. I hope he can turn this country around and get us out of the hole we dug for ourselves. Good luck to him, he's going to need it!

I'm very happy Prop 2 (in California) passed. More humane treatment for farm animals. Always a good thing. Prop 12 passed. Again, I'm happy. Providing for Veterans should be an automatic thing.

Prop 8 passed. This prop denies people of the same sex to marry. I am so disturbed by this. I know there are that many ignorant, hateful people in the world, but this just proves it. Why would someone be so spiteful that they would deny a loving couple the same civil rights everyone else enjoys? I know the "Yes on 8" group ran a shady campaign, purposely misleading people, but I still hoped there were more compassionate people out there, especially here in California. I know similar bans were passed in Florida and a couple of other states, but I kind of expected that. Not here in California.

One definite good thing came of the elections. At least I don't have to worry about Palin as president.

No comments: