Saturday, October 25, 2008

The Best Holiday of the Year!

I love Halloween. It is, by far, my most favorite day of the year. I longed for the day when I would have children to dress-up with. What I didn't count on was the lack of scary costumes. Halloween costumes are supposed to be scary. On the night when the veil between the living and the dead is at it's thinnest, you're supposed to wear scary costumes to frighten away the evil spirits. So, what have my kids dressed-up as over the years? We've had a football player, Diego (from Go, Diego, Go), a pirate, a firefighter, spiderman, a scarecrow, superman, a frog, and a dalmation. The only scary costume was when Turtle went as a vampire when he was two. I tried to make him a zombie football player last year, but he wasn't having it.

I was so excited this year because Frog wanted to be Frankenstein's monster and Turtle wants to be a "zombie Army guy with a knife sticking out of him" (his words.) Yay! I found a cool Frankenstein's monster pattern to make and got all the stuff together for the zombie costume. Then Frog discovered his brother's old spiderman costume and hasn't quit wearing it in over a week. So, now he wants to be spiderman. Sigh. At least I still have a zombie costume to look forward to.

But the boys' Tia saved the day by sending a box of Halloween goodies which included two skeleton shirts and a skull mask. Happy, happy! Joy, joy!

Today we had the Halloween carnival, hay ride, and haunted house on base today. So, I was able to scare the boys up to my heart's content...



The carnival was really cute. Lots of games with prizes and cookies. Afterwards we took the hay ride up to the camping grounds for the haunted house.
The haunted house was a no-go...

Last year Turtle went through it twice, but this year he didn't make it past the first room. Suprisingly, Frog made it to the second room, but then he was done, too. Oh well, maybe next year!

No comments: