Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Quasi-crunchy. The Diet Coke of Crunchy.

Just one calorie, not crunchy enough!

Some days (most days) I wish I was a free-spirited hippie traveling around the country in van. Wearing long skirts, going barefoot, living in a forest, growing my own food, not dealing with society.

On the other hand, I like my a/c, microwave, grocery store, etc.

Walking the crunchy line also applies to my parenting. I believe in natural parenting. Do I practise it completely? No.

My kids eat mainly healthy, organic food. Usually vegetarian during the day (or when J's not here.) But they also eat McDonalds and candy, ice cream, cookies, and more crap. So do I.

I don't really watch TV. House or Office lately, that's about it. The boys love TV and watch it every day. Turtle is starting to really get into video games. But they also play outside every day and we try to read together most nights.

The boys have wonderful wooden blocks, handmade wooden trucks, dress-up clothes. But they also have plastic, noisy, licensed character toys.

With our next baby, I plan to cloth diaper. I couldn't do it with the boys because they came to work with me, it just wasn't feasible, J didn't want to, I was lazy. This time I will be home all day, so I'll be changing the most diapers.

Turtle was carried around in a front carrier and Frog lived in slings. I think I'm trying a wrap and a mei tei with this next little one.

Of course, we co-sleep.

I'm all for child-led learning/life experiences. If my kids want to watch a zombie movie, fine. I'm there with them to explain it's not real. Turtle goes to bed around 9:30pm. Frog goes to bed around midnight (or whenever we do.) As long as they are getting up in the morning and not dragging around all day, I'm fine with it.

I definitely wish we could be more natural, but right now I'm happy with our balance.

No comments: