Thursday, October 9, 2008

More genealogy stuff!

The other thing that helped start my interest in family history is that I've always loved learning about Native Americans. According to family legend, my great-grandmother is full-blooded. Full-blooded what, I'm not sure. She definitely looked like it, as did my grandfather. These aren't the best pics (they are pictures of pictures), but here he is circa 1954...

That's my mom with him. And here he is circa 1981...



That's my grandmother and I with him.

I was able to trace the Riggs (grandfather's last name) line back to the Yeopim Indians of Pasquotank County. But it was on his paternal side. I haven't been able to find anything about Lela (my great-grandmother.)

While I'm doing pics, here is one of Lela's house...


And on to my father's side....



This is my dad, aunt, grandmother, and grandfather. One line on my dad's side is the only one I've been able to trace out of the country. John Maness (my 8x-great-grandfather) was born in 1655 in Scotland. It seems like every other line in my family has been in North Carolina since the early 1700s. Hopefully one day I'll trace another one out of the country.

But for now I am enjoying researching my Scottish heritage. It turns out we are descended from Clan Gunn in northern Scotland.










2 comments:

Tara Staton said...

that is so cool that you did all that! Isn't history so cool? Especially when it is our own!

Crystal said...

Yes, it is so much fun! Especially when you break through a stubborn brick wall.