Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Setting myself up for failure?

Maybe. Probably.

November 1st marks the start of 2008's NaNoWriMo. What is NaNoWriMo, you ask?

http://www.nanowrimo.org/

It is when thousands of aspiring artists sit down together with the task of completing a 50,000 word novel in 30 days. The goal is to actually finish...quantity over quality.

Since that is my main problem (finishing what I start), I thought this would be a good way to jumpstart my novel. I have two ideas: one for a stand-alone book and one for a possible series. I think I am going to do the first book in the series. I had good intentions for planning this week. I wanted to get my character sheets done and a notebook compiled of all the little ideas I've come up with for this book. Alas, it is Wednesday and I haven't started yet. I promise to try and work on it today!

Will I actually finish? It's a distinct possibility. I've always worked best under pressure. You know, finishing papers and projects the night before they are due? My obstacles are numerous:

1. I've never actually written a novel before. Or anything of this length, for that matter. Several thousand word essays are the most I've done on one topic.

2. Thanksgiving, leading up to Xmas. Whoever had the bright idea of having this take place in the middle of the holiday season, should be taken out in the street and shot. Seriously. I will probably have guests over, cooking, shopping, wrapping, etc. At least I don't have to worry about decorating the house.

3. J will be gone for almost two weeks right in the middle of it. J had classes all summer, so he didn't get to go home to Key West with the boys and I. So, it's been a while (last Xmas) since he's seen his family. He is leaving November 8 and will be back November 19. There is still a slight possiblity of him taking Frog with him, which will make it very easy for me. But most likely, I will be here with both boys by myself.

There are plenty of other reasons, but I am still going to try.

Wish me luck! Less than three days to go!

No comments: